A place for the ramblings of a man just a step away from being that guy talking to himself outside the subway station.

Sunday, August 29, 2010

Do You Remember When You Realized Dreams Don’t Come True?

When you were growing up I’m sure you were told that you “could be anything you wanted to be when you grew up” by your parents. (If not you grew up with horrible parents.) Wasn’t that a nice little thought? All you had to do was wait until you were older and poof, you’re a doctor!

How old were you when you figured out that your parents were full of shit and that life is a cruel whore that doesn’t care about you or your dreams?

I was nine years old.

When I was five years old my parents moved us into the house on Somerset Ave. At that time the street was perfect for a kid like me; there were tons of other kids to hang out with. Within one year I had made at least ten friends in the neighbourhood and learned how to play baseball.

Baseball consumed our lives. During the summer we’d play around five to ten hours a day. We had our very own makeshift park at the local public school located at the end of the block which we claimed as our own. Even when we hated each other we’d still play ball, there would just be more hit batters.

By age seven I noticed that certain people grow up and are able to play baseball for a living. Not only that but they made way more than both of my parents combined doing what I would do for ten hours a day for free.

So at age seven I made it my dream to become a Major League Baseball player.

When I turned nine years old my love for baseball had reached a fever pitch. I was fairly good for my age, I could throw well, hitting wasn’t a problem and catching was my strong suit.

I then decided to judge myself against others my age. This was when my dreams were shattered for the first time in my life.

Wherever I looked I found people who could hit the ball further, throw harder and run faster than me. If these people were already better than me how would I ever become a MLB player? My god, I wouldn’t.

I was average then and I’m average now. Average intelligence, average looks (on a good day), and have an average (if not sub-par) personality. People who are average do not have their dreams come true.

Dreams only come true to those who are gifted in some way.

The only people who can have their dreams come true are people who have the means to devote time and effort to them (rich people) or those with natural ability that cannot be ignored (geniuses, the good looking, or those who are physically gifted).

Anyway you look at it normal, average people are not now or ever having their dreams come true.

Tim the hardworking roofer isn’t becoming President of the United States, Cheryl the stay at home mom won’t become a guitar legend, and Cameron the average didn’t become a Major League Baseball player.

The sooner we all notice this the better off we'll all be.

No comments:

Post a Comment